Sunday, August 12, 2012

Keep speaking your truth

I was reflecting on how important it is to keep with who we truly are.  In this world that seems to be run by many who just follow the other, without thought about what is it they truly want to say.  I have decided that it is my passion to always be who I am no matter what others think.  My belief has brought wonderful people into my life, but I have also be rejected by others both in family and friends.  I've had to walk a path alone, but have found a deep love for life.  I regret nothing and feel that by speaking my truth I honor others for being who they are.

I wanted to introduce a Victoria artist, Emily Carr.  She was  a woman back in the early 20th century who chose to create her own voice in paintings, drawings, and books.  There is a story of Emily and a friend talking about their paintings.  Her friend is also an artist, selling proper paintings during this time and Emily is creating her paintings of trees and native symbolism.  What is different about Emily is that she speaks about the spirit of the land, which brings her unique voice into the world.   Unfortunately, Emily's work was not selling and her friends was making a profit.  Her friend said, why don't you stop painting those trees!!!  Emily knew she couldn't stop as her inner voice was to strong to discontinue what was her truth.  Of course, many artists during that period were very poor and so was Emily, but she stayed with her work. Near the end of her life, she began to sell her work and became very well known all over the world.  Now her work reaches up to 1 million dollars.  She believed completely in herself and didn't falter to others points of view.  I'm always inspired by women who have allowed themselves to rise above group ideals.

This is only one of many tree paintings that Emily created from the British Columbia coast line.  I love the movement and color of this piece.

 To all who speak from their heart, know who they are, and go forth into a world where the mass majority of people don't have an individual thought!!!  I celebrate you all!!!!




12 comments:

  1. Wonderful post. So many people just follow along and don't nurture who they really are inside. I remember studying Emily Carr's painting in school. She's one of the artists I've always loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine:
      Thanks for your lovely comment. I'm working in the tourist industry at this time and see how people follow trends without even questioning what they are doing. I do love to observe the psychology of people.
      Isn't Emily wonderful!!!! Thanks for sharing!!! :)

      Delete
  2. This was a lovely post Suzanne, I love that you have so much self esteem about yourself, I work on myself daily... hoping I will have as much one day:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Launna!!! I had to work really hard to feel good. The old saying, if I can do it, so can you. :) Great to hear from you!!!

      Delete
  3. Parabéns pelas lindas postagens.
    Abraços!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely compliment!!!!
      Hugs!!

      Delete
  4. I love what you are writing here. Having a good self-esteem and a love for life is all you need to be truly happy. Happiness always comes from withing after all. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderfully said Alida!!! It is truly a gift to be who we are in the world. :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Suzanne,

    When we are in fullness of our integrity not have fear and also do not need to prove anything to anyone. You believe in yourself.

    Thank you for introducing me to this artwork, I did not know it.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sissym:
      I love what you said, "in fullness of our integrity"!!! Wonderful!!! :) Thanks for your heart felt comment.
      Hugs :)

      Delete
  6. I entirely agree with you, nothing saddens me more than a mind that is hastily jumping to adopt universal ideas without analyzing them properly with their own minds.

    ReplyDelete