Friday, September 7, 2012

High Expectations

When I was finishing my University degree, my medium of choice was pipe cleaners.  I love how fast I could create without stopping, so this allowed me the freedom to go without thinking of the next direction.  It is what some artist call process art.  There isn't much thought in it, but the act of moving in the moment to see what wants to be expressed.


Through the process of creating this sculpture, I found that my inner world seemed to have a difficult time swallowing the high expectations that seemed to be put on women for having to look and be a certain way.  I remember when I was in my teens, my friends would talk about their wedding, what the dress would look like, what songs they would play, how many people would be at the wedding???  And in fact, these friends of mine had no boyfriends, so how could they know what the wedding was going to be without asking their potential husband.  Didn't partnership come into the equation, asking the other what he also wanted???  I know that dreaming is a good thing, but the illusion around what a marriage was going to be always left a bad taste in my mouth.   I even tried to live within this illusion for a time, but it never felt comfortable just like high heal shoes felt like I was climbing into a world that I didn't want to be a part of.  

This sculpture reminds me of the tangled thoughts of being a women.  A lifeless body made up of believes that had little meaning in the real world.  Yes, I am a woman, but what or who I become is for me to chose and no-one else to judge.



10 comments:

  1. I always love what you write in this weblog, Great post. I believe anyone likes your blog.Check out mine Perfect Shot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment!!! I'll have a look soon. :)

      Delete
  2. And you are absolutely right on this! I don't like to be given a role expected by society.
    This sculpture has a feminine touch. It is very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alida, isn't is so true. We are all women in our own unique ways. This is what makes life interesting. :) Thanks for your comment as I get to know a little more about you and your views.

      Delete
  3. We think very much alike...I hate conformity, and I dislike people who rush into fulfilling certain goals mainly imposed by society. I like the idea of your sculpture, and I like the colors...the contrast of colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Petronela:
      Thanks for your comment!!! I always appreciate hearing your ideas. I always thought something was wrong with me for thinking differently, but now I see that my thoughts were healthy and authentic. I completely agree with you.
      I appreciate your views on my sculpture. :)

      Delete
  4. I agree we should not conform to what society thinks we should be, very interesting sculpture Suzanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I truly agree with you, we should always be ourself. During my youth days, I receive a lot of negative comments from my friends as I like to do things differently, but I kept moving my own way. That time, I always have this lyric from Metallica pasted on my wall;

    Out of my own, out to be free
    One with my mind, they just can't see
    No need to hear things that they say
    Life is for my own to live my own way

    Btw, the sculpture is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story. I do love the poem!!!! Thanks for your compassionate and thoughtful message. :)

      Delete